How to Remain Anonymous Online
Some might say the internet was built on anonymity, paving the way for a place where free speech reigns supreme but after years of learning about who's snooping into everything we do online, privacy on the internet is a more popular topic than ever. It's not just about government spying; it's also about how much big companies like Google, Facebook, and Microsoft have collected about us.
How to surf the web anonymously and keep your browser from tracking you
- Use a Secure VPN service to protect your true IP address
- Use a browser like Chrome that has an "incognito" mode and use it
- Make sure you don't download or bookmark anything
- When you sign up for things do not use your real name or fill in optional data fields with real data
- Use a Secure Email service provider like Discreet.Email
- If you need to purchase something use alternative anonymous payment methods
* Keep in mind that an already-compromised computer can still be tracked
Doing these things will hide your real IP address and name from service providers and limit tracking left on your computer.